There are some reasons why it is beneficial to have an American iTunes account rather than a local one from New Zealand.
There is a broader depth of content in the iTunes store itself, and there are many services which require you to sign up using the US version of iTunes such as some streaming services.
When looking at this, you might think it isn’t possible to do living in New Zealand, but the steps in creating an American iTunes account are far more comfortable than you might think.
In This Article
Here we will show you how to create iTunes account the easy way, and how you can bypass the geo-restrictions that are in place which prevent you from doing it directly from New Zealand.
Benefits of using a US iTunes account
Not only is there more content in the US iTunes store than the one available in New Zealand, but music and movies can also be far cheaper.
Even if apps are available in New Zealand, these will default to the home region, and for reasons only known to Apple, they will come with a higher price attached to them.
Since the back end of 2017 Apple made changes, and now it isn’t possible to open an American iTunes account using a Windows or Mac system, it is however still possible using an iPhone, iPad or iPod.
Steps in creating your US-based iTunes Account
Before looking at the steps, it is essential to know that you will need to use a VPN service to access and create all you need in creating an iTunes ID and account.
A VPN will mask your connection so you can make it appear you are in a different location than where you are.
One word of advice once you should follow is to make sure you have the best VPN NZ users swear by.
When you are making an iTunes account sign up the standard of VPN doesn’t matter so much, but when streaming, it will make a huge difference if you don’t use the top level VPN providers.
It is this that will enable you to create US iTunes account, but once you come to funding your account, there are a few other steps involved. These we will look at after.
Signing up for, and using a VPN
The top VPN for NZ makes the entire process straightforward. All it takes is to head to their website, add your email, select a plan and your payment option.
That is all there is to it for creating your VPN account. To use the client app so you can create your iTunes account. Download the client software for your Apple device, and then when it has installed all you need to do is select the United States from a drop-down list.
Once it has connected, then you can proceed with the following steps. At this point any iTunes login NZ users make will seem as if they are made from the USA.
Apple ID and Account creation
Here are the steps how to create an Apple ID and account from outside of the USA.
- Head to the home screen on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch and then select the ‘App store’ icon.
- You need to sign out of any other iTunes account, and you can do this easily. Scroll to the bottom of the page and select sign out of your iTunes New Zealand account. This needs to be completed because if the service spots an existing Apple ID, the steps won’t work.
- Next, you should select any ‘Free app’ and then select ‘Get.’
- Once the next box is displayed, click and select ‘Create your Apple ID.’
- You will be taken through all of the sign-up procedure where you need to enter personal details. You will need to add an email address, but this should be one which isn’t associated with any iTunes account. This email will become your new Apple ID. You will also be asked to input your security questions that you will need to create your Apple ID and password.
- During this step, you will need to provide a password and change the country from the drop down to ‘United States.’ (This matches with the location of the VPN server you have changed).
- Once you have done this, agree to the Apple terms and conditions and click ‘Next.’
- Now in the payment information (billing details) section make sure to select ‘None.’
- Enter a fake US address billing address. (Use any US-based hotel address. For a phone number, you can use 000 0000000 because iTunes demands a number, although it might not verify the accuracy.)
- At this stage, Apple sends a verification email you provided earlier.
- Open the email and confirm the sent code where it will be requested on your iPhone or iPad in the settings app of iTunes.
- Your account is ready, and you can verify this by making an iTunes account login.
How to put funds in your iTunes account
The reason for doing this is that any international credit card is geo-blocked the same as the Apple services.
To create an ID without a credit card, you can purchase gift cards online. These iTunes gift cards are the easiest way to fund your account.
There are many places which sell these such as eBay or other internet stores, but if a card has a code that doesn’t work, then you will have little recall in obtaining a refund.
One way is if you have friends or family in the US who can make these purchases on your behalf.
You can also visit one of the sites which purposely sell these cards and email the codes directly to you and is the preferred payment method which works as soon as you make a purchase.
To use these in your account, all you need to do is head back to your US iTunes store and select the link to redeem your card.
After heading to my iTunes account sign in on the US iTunes store, enter the password and once you are in your account, type the code in the box and click redeem. You will now have funds available for use.