Owners of a FireStick have the ability of watching thousands of free TV shows, movies, live channels and sporting features along with much more once they Jailbreak Fire TV and other FireStick devices.
Although this sounds a bit suspect and harmful to the device, it is completely safe and doesn’t void any warranty.
Without waiting, we will take you through how to Jailbreak Amazon FireStick, install Kodi and which are the best Kodi add-ons you can use.
What is Jailbreaking an Amazon FireStick?
All this process does is to remove device restrictions that are out in place by the manufacturer. This will enable users to install unauthorized software. Jailbreaking a FireStick is a loose term given to this, but no part of the firmware is affected.
The benefit of Jailbreaking your FireStick is that you can then side-load any applications you wish onto your device that aren’t available on the Amazon app store. This is what gives you access to all the content specified.
Primary Reason for Jailbreaking a FireStick
Amazon has fought against apps which are promoting either low-cost or free streaming. Hence this was the most significant thing that prompted the removal of Kodi from the store.
It was this that put into the Jailbreaking procedure we will see soon because Kodi is loved by vast amounts of people.
Once this Jailbreaking became commonplace, then this opened the floodgates for many other third-party apps to be installed.
The Amazon FireStick is an Android device which is very different to Apple Smart TV and Roku which use their own software and operating system.
Because Android gives users much more flexibility, there are countless opportunities available for the ones who perform a Fire TV jailbreak on their device.
It should be noted, you do need an Amazon account to be able to set up your FireStick Fire TV device. This is free, so there is no need to panic.
Jailbreaking an Amazon FireStick
There are a few steps to perform all of this function, but some of the most necessary steps are to turn off ‘app usage data’ and ‘data monitoring,’ and these are what the first set of steps help you to do.
- Go to the FireStick home screen of your FireStick by clicking the home button on remote
- Hover over the Settings menu item and Click Preferences
- Click Privacy Settings – you may not see any of these options on older FireStick devices or systems that haven’t been updated
- Turn off both ‘Device Usage Data' and ‘Collect App Usage Data'
- Navigate back to the previous screen by clicking the back button on your FireStick remote after changing the settings to “Off.”
- Click Data Monitoring & Turn off Data Monitoring
- Note: If you are using newer versions of the Amazon Fire TV Stick. Access to the “App Usage Data” section is found by navigating to Fire TV Settings – Preferences – Privacy Settings.
- It is suggested heading to the “Data Monitoring” tab and making sure that option is also turned off.
- Click the back button and return to the previous screen. Click the My Fire TV
Click Developer Options
Select to enable Apps from Unknown Sources – this lets 3rd party apps to be installed.
These are basically the steps for the best FireStick jailbreak on your Amazon FireStick, but there are more to make full use of the device. Adding the Kodi app being one.
Using ES File Explorer
The ES app is the easiest method to install Kodi on your FireStick, so here are the steps:
- In ES File Explorer navigate on the left to Tools – Download Manager – +New
- A box shows asking for a path and filename. Type https://www.firesticktricks.com/kapk correctly, and then for the name type Kodi Kryton.
- Once you have added the URL and given it a name click ‘Download Now.’ This starts the download process of the Kodi APK.
- When the APK has been downloaded, click ‘Open File’ and then ‘Install’ in the properties box.
- With your Fire TV device remote, navigate down and click the ‘Install’ option.
- Now, your FireStick is jailbroken so all you need to do is click open and you will be taken to the Kodi on FireStick home screen.
Kodi Instructions for Jailbreak FireStick
Here you will find the second set of step by step instructions to installing Kodi on your FireStick TV device.
- From in ES Explorer menu, navigate to ‘Tools’ > ‘Download Manager.’ This is found in the left-hand menu.
- Select and click on the ‘+ New’ option from the bottom menu.
- For the ‘Path,’ you need to type https://kodi.tv/download and then click ‘OK.’
- For this ‘Name,’ type in ‘Kodi.’
- Select and click ‘Download Now.’
- The Kodi installation file will now begin to download.
- If you wish, you can select the ‘Hide’ option, and then navigate to ‘Tools’ > ‘Download Manager’ where you can check the download process.
- Once the Kodi ‘APK’ file has been downloaded, you can then install on your FireStick.
- Navigate back to the FireStick home screen.
- Now launch the Kodi app.
You now have the best media player for your FireStick, and it is time to see which are the best Kodi builds or add-ons you can download and install for accessing all of these free content.
One thing to note is users spend hours trawling through builds and add-ons to find the best content. Here we have done all the hard work and plucked the best working Kodi add-ons for users pleasure.
One other piece of advice now users are using Kodi as a means of accessing streaming apps, is the use of a VPN service.
Lots of content is illegal and under the keen eyes of agencies and ISP's who monitor what users are downloading or streaming.
Additionally, ISP's are renowned for slowing connections so even a FireStick which isn’t jailbroken could suffer from buffering.
These are a handful of benefits of using a VPN for streaming in New Zealand. Fist up, let’s take a look at those add-ons.
Best Kodi Add-ons and Streaming Apps for Amazon FireStick TV
Terrarium TV was shut down but quickly replaced by this Android app. Cinema APK works excellent on both FireStick and FireTV devices. With a user-friendly interface, there are plenty of hours entertainment available.
This app allows users to stream and to download for later playback. This is the best APK for this type of content on any Android device.
The Magic Dragon Kodi Add-on
This add-on will be the same on a FireStick Kodi as it does on the PC Kodi variant. This add-on is the successor to the dogs bollocks add-on, so it delivers masses of TV shows, documentaries, and movies.
There are a vast number of categories users can choose, such as what People watching, New Movie releases, Real Debrid movies, 4K movies, Catch up TV, Kids, Kodi channels, sport, music plus others.
To find this add-on, you can look in the MaverickTV repo or the Supremacy Repo.
No Limits Magic Build
To save time searching through add-ons, this Kodi build does it all for you because it could be the best Kodi build there is. It comes with a futuristic appearance, is updated frequently and poses very few problems.
Add-ons it installs are BOB Unleashed, Elysium, Stream Army, Quantum, Bennu and Covenant to name a few.
Picking the best VPN for a FireStick
As was mentioned earlier, much of the content that users can access with a jailbroken Fire TV device, there is a need for a VPN to be used.
But, not all VPN’s perform well for New Zealand because of network size and their server location.
Searching for the ideal VPN for FireStick can be harder than jailbreaking the device in the first place. Again we have done all the hard work and come to one ideal VPN provider for Fire TV/ FireStick usage.
ExpressVPN might be ranked number one, and it reaches this position for a good reason. With a highly optimized VPN network.
Connections speeds are the fastest in the industry so there will be no buffering. Additionally, ISP’s won’t know there is streaming happening so they can’t throttle a connection.
These are just the benefits of using a VPN for a FireStick, and the real benefits are shown for security and privacy.
Users need to be well aware that this VPN delivers best in class in almost every aspect and are the one service many others follow for their inspiration.
With the best VPN for New Zealand installed on a FireStick, there are no worries about anyone being able to see what users are watching, be it legal, illegal or any other form of content.