The way Snapchat is designed is that nothing will last after a certain period. Posts and videos are short-term, and the social media app will automatically delete these after a short period, in some cases as little as 24-hours.
However, there is the case you could have posted something you change your mind, and you want to get rid of it before anyone sees it.
Many users don’t know, how do you delete your story on Snapchat? because different ways depend on the timing.
In our guide, you can learn how to delete a Snapchat story regardless of when you posted it. (Learn How to Delete Snapchat Account)
Can You Delete Stories on Snapchat?
Snapchat has My Story and also Our Story. Each of these is very different from the other. My story stays for 24 hours by default and is visible to your mates.
For a day, two days, or even much longer, Our Story is visible across the Snapchat social media platform. The stories expire after the amount of time specified and are automatically deleted.
If these times are too long, you can go through these following steps to delete them.
Delete My Story Snap for iPhone and Android
- Open Snapchat app on your smartphone
- Tap on your Story icon from the top-left corner
- Tap My Story icon. You can tap anywhere on My Story and expand it. Then tap a snap icon.
- Long-press on the icon or tap the three dots icon
- Tap the delete icon, and confirm
- If you tap on a single Snap, you’ll see the delete icon. Tap on it. If you tap the My Story icon, swipe up from the bottom of the screen, then tap the delete icon.
If you have multiple snaps to delete from My Story, you’ll need to repeat the process for each one.
Delete Our Story Snap for iPhone and Android
While it is possible to use the same steps to remove Snaps from Our Story, here’s an additional method
- Open the Snapchat app on your phone
- Tap on your profile icon in the upper-left
- Tap on the Settings icon in the upper-right
- Scroll down and tap on Our Story Snaps
- Tap the Delete icon
- Tap on Delete to confirm
With this method, you’ll see Our Story will be deleted from Search, Context Cards, and Snap.
Can I Delete an Unopened Snapchat Video?
When you take a photo or video snap and then post it to friends on Snapchat, you can’t undo anything to make changes. The only way you can prevent anyone from seeing it is to delete the message.
However, there is no sure guarantee that the person you sent it to won’t see it.
Here’s the steps to delete a Snap you’ve sent and don’t want anyone to see.
Since chat messages are deleted when you exit the chat, these instructions are for when you have your chat open with a friend or group.
- In the chat tab, tap and long hold on the Snap you want to delete
- Tap Delete
- Tap the purple Delete button and confirm you want it deleted
Remember that your friends inside any chat can see you have deleted a post. (Learn How To Unblock Someone On Messenger)
How Do You Delete Someone Else’s Snapchat Story?
Manage Snapchat Story You or Your Friend Created
Anyone who creates a story is in charge. You can add or remove friends, rename the Story, delete anyone’s Snaps from it, or keep it if you want to save the entire Story!
- Tap the Profile button to the top and go to the Profile screen
- Tap the button next to a Story
- Tap ‘Story Settings’
- Choose any setting you want to update
Remove Snap from Story You or Friend Created
Here’s how to delete a Snapchat story.
Tap the Profile button to the top and go to your Profile screen
Tap the Story name, so you see the Snaps inside
Tap a Snap to watch it
Tap the trash button to delete it
If you don’t see trash, try tapping ‘Views’ at the bottom first.
If you created the Story, you could delete other people’s Snaps. Otherwise, it is only possible to delete Snaps you added.
It is worth noting, the person creating the Story can save the entire Story to Snapchat Memories and Camera Roll when they want. Also, anyone else in the Story can take screenshots as well.
Can Anyone See My Story After I Delete It?
No, once you delete Snapchat stories, they’re gone for good.
- Open the Snapchat app
- Click on your profile icon
- Click “my story” to view your snap story
- Swipe up to the story you want to delete
- Click on the trash symbol at the bottom of the screen
- Repeat the steps above for all the snaps you want to delete
Once you delete your Snapchat story, it can’t be viewed by others.
It is also worth noting that when you have deleted a Snapchat Story, you can no longer see who has seen the story. You should pick your story to view and see who has seen your story before you delete a Snap.
It is also worth remembering; you can be giving away your location via the app every time you send a message to people. You need to be aware there is lots of related information you share without your knowledge.
One of the best ways to avoid this is by using a VPN. You will find they hide your location, and it isn’t just people who will think you are somewhere else, but online tracking won’t show where you actually are. (Find the Best VPN for NZ)
Deleting Snapchat stories may appear to be one way to hide using this app, yet each time you open Snapchat, you are telling the app and the company where you are.