In 2018, Tumblr announced a ban on all adult content, and from then on, the iOS store temporarily removed the app because it was found to be tied up with users sharing child pornography. At the time, it was a site where it was possible to do and say anything.
However, all this was gone in the bat of an eye, and the remaining social media platform turned into something very different. As a result, there were many users who’d had enough and want to delete their accounts.
Besides this, there have also been breaches of privacy, and it was enough to have another wave of users leaving the platform.
If these are worrying, the app makes it challenging to get to your privacy settings to disable sharing data with Tumblr ad partners. (Learn How to Delete Snapchat)
If you are one of the above and wish to permanently get rid of your account, you can go through our guide.
By the end, you’ll know how not just how to disable your account, you can go all the way, and you can delete your Tumblr account permanently.
Deleting Tumblr Account vs. Deactivating Account
You have a primary blog on a Tumblr account, and here you can post content or follow other blogs. Once you set up your primary blog, you then have options to set up secondary blogs.
In these blog settings, you can set them up as private membership groups and with who you restrict information. All your blogs connect to your original Tumblr account you used to create them.
You can discover you have the option to delete your Tumblr account altogether or delete any secondary blogs.
When deleting a secondary blog, it doesn’t impact the primary blog or your Tumblr account.
Yet, you’ll quickly find you can only delete a primary blog by deleting the entire Tumblr account. Once you do this, you are deleted from any groups you’ve joined and lost any Tumblr credit.
Once a Tumblr account is deleted, the username and blog URL associated with that account go back into circulation and reused by any user or group.
Deleting A Secondary Tumblr Blog
To delete one of your secondary blogs on Tumblr, follow these simple steps:
On the smartphone app:
- Log in to your Tumblr account. Click the ‘Account’ button, which is the person-shaped icon.
- Select an item from your list of blogs you want to delete.
- Using the iOS app, swipe left on the blog and choose ‘Delete.’
- In the Android app, select the gear icon (settings) and select ‘Delete this Tumblr.’
In your web browser:
- Log in to your Tumblr account, then select ‘Settings’ from your dashboard menu.
- Select a blog you wish to delete.
- Click ‘Delete Blog’ on the screen bottom.
The Tumblr blog is deleted, although your account, along with messages, likes, themes, and posts, is still intact, and you can still use Tumblr as usual. (Learn how to Delete Gmail Account)
Downloading Tumblr Data
Before deleting your account or a Tumblr blog or deactivate Tumblr account, you can download data from the website before deleting your active account.
To request the download of your Tumblr data, follow these steps
- Access the Privacy Dashboard. Scroll to ‘Download Your Data
- Click ‘Request a Download’ and select the data to download.
- Click ‘Next’ and enter an email address for when the download is ready.
- Click ‘Request Download’
- NOTE: It can take up to 30 days for your request to be processed.
- When notified your download is ready, revisit the Privacy Dashboard.
- Scroll to ‘Download Your Data,’ and this time click ‘Your Download Requests.’
- Click ‘Download’
- Your data will be downloaded in JSON format.
How to Delete Your Tumblr Account?
It isn’t possible to permanently delete your Tumblr account using the app, and you must do this via a web browser.
- Log in to your Tumblr account. For two-factor authentication (TFA), enter the code sent to your mobile device.
- Click the ‘Account’ icon and select your account ‘Settings’
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and select ‘Delete Account.’
- You are now taken to a screen asking for confirmation. Confirm the action by entering your email address and password.
- Hit the ‘Delete Everything’ button at the bottom of the page. For TFA, re-enter your email address and the code on your mobile device.
- Once you hit the delete account button, your Tumblr account is now deleted, along with all related blogs, posts, and data.
Before doing anything, remember deletions cannot be undone. Once you decide to delete Tumblr, delete account gets rid of all your previous articles, your primary and secondary blog, and any content you have posted.
Any blogs up until this stage are still shared with other users until the owner deletes them in any of the ways mentioned. Thus, if you wish to get rid of content to stop the search of this by others, you need to close your account to do so.
Since many users decided to quit the website because of privacy issues, it is advisable to use a VPN when using any social media site or platform. When you send any content, your VPN will encrypt this and make sure no one can intercept it before it reaches its destination.
As the writer, you want to make sure you have total control over your posts, from the previous, present, and the future. (Find the Best Free VPN NZ)
A VPN can be used for a group with simultaneous connections, and also it can be used on countless computing or mobile devices such as Android, iOS, and others.
For the internet, a VPN is the best way to create an account that has your privacy as a concern rather than trying to gather your data.