BitTorrent developed uTorrent, which is one of the most popular torrent clients in the world. If you download the app, it can be set to automatically open Windows 10 or older Windows versions.
The problem is, the higher the number of programs that open when your computer starts up, the slower it becomes.
The problem is even worse with apps like uTorrent or BitTorrent because you leave yourself open to copyright trolls or your ISP seeing your IP address without your knowledge. It is a security risk to have any torrent app open automatically without software protection.
You can learn how to disable uTorrent from the Windows startup in our guide. You can also prevent uTorrent from starting automatically, so uTorrent won’t open and start to broadcast your torrenting activity to anyone. (Learn how to stay safe when using movie torrents)
How Do I Stop BitTorrent From Opening on Startup Windows 10?
From uTorrent 2.0 onward or the BitTorrent app, you’ll start noticing you start uTorrent when Windows boots. If this happens, it is better to disable uTorrent from starting automatically because of the security risk.
Here are the steps you need to disable the app running completely when Windows starts.
- Open uTorrent from the Start Menu
- Once you open uTorrent, Go to Options – Preferences
- Beneath the ‘General’ section, click to uncheck the box ‘Start uTorrent on system startup’
- Click OK to close Preferences. (In Windows 7, click Start and type msconfig in the Search box. In Windows XP, click Start then type msconfig)
- Inside the System Configuration, click the ‘Startup tab’ and uncheck uTorrent
- Click OK to save changes
Those are the simple steps for how to stop uTorrent from opening on startup Windows 10.
You can do this another way if you find it doesn’t resolve your issue, and uTorrent may still be starting automatically when you start your Windows PC.
Here are the alternative steps to disable uTorrent when Windows starts.
- Close the uTorrent application by this combination. Press the Windows key + r – Type taskmgr
- Select the uTorrent app and then select disable to stop it from running
- You will also have to remove the helper application (comes with the uTorrent installation)
- Locate the ‘helper’ directory on your computer (C:\Users ‘your-user>\AppData\Roaming\uTorrent\helper)
- In your helper directory, you should see the helper.exe file, which is for uTorrent.
- Delete this file
Note: The AppData folder is hidden by default, so you need to head to the ‘user’ folder and toggle the ‘show hidden folders’ to enabled.
How Do I Stop a Program from Running at Startup Windows 10?
You can find many programs set themselves to restart at Windows startup in the settings.
However, there were changes in the latest version with the Windows Fall Creator’s Update where registered software via RegisterApplicationRestart automatically re-open following a shutdown or reboot. (Find the Best Book Torrents)
If uTorrent keeps opening on startup or after a reboot, you can be in a vulnerable position.
Here is the solution to shut down a program before it can run without you knowing.
- Select the Windows ‘Start’ button
- Select Windows Settings – Apps – Startup. (Check any app you wish to run at Microsoft Windows startup is enabled)
- If you can’t see the Startup option in Settings
- Right-click the Windows Start button
- Go to Task Manager (Ctrl + Alt + Del shortcut also works)
- Select the Startup tab
- If you can’t see the Startup tab, click on ‘More Details’
- Click on the app you wish to change.
- Select enable to run at startup or disable so that it won’t run from the Windows 10 settings
How Do I Stop Programs from Opening on Startup Windows?
- Click the Start button and select Settings (keyboard shortcut Windows Key + I to open Settings)
- In Settings, click Apps.
- On the next screen, click startup on the left. On the right are installed apps set to run at startup.
- Next to each is the impact on the startup process. Here you can see Microsoft OneDrive has a high impact.
- Use this to determine which apps slow your PC and those that don’t.
You can use the other method to disable startup apps.
- Use the shortcut Ctrl + Alt + Del to open the task manager
- Click the Startup tab to check programs enabled to run at startup.
- To stop, highlight the app, click the Disable, or right-click and select Disable from the menu.
Task Manager lets you open an app’s file location and properties. You can disable all these if you are troubleshooting and then enable the ones you need.
High-impact apps are the ones that slow your system, yet if you stop uTorrent from starting automatically, this is for safety reasons rather than the impact on system resources.
How Do You Stop an App from Opening on Start-Up?
When uTorrent is set to start on startup in the Windows settings, you need the above method of how to stop uTorrent from opening on startup Windows 10 for security purposes.
The issue is that when you start your computer and it is set to start uTorrent, torrent files start seeding, and users who do this are broadcasting their IP address. (Learn How to Use Lime Torrents privately)
ISP’s, copyright trolls, or anyone can see the IP in a torrent swarm. ISPs can retain data for online activities, and copyright trolls can see who downloads what using torrents.
When you start uTorrent when Windows starts, you are fully exposed until you stop uTorrent from opening on startup. However, you have another option, which is to use a VPN service.
A VPN changes your IP address and gives you a new one; thus, now, when anyone checks, they won’t relate the IP to your actual location, and it will look as if you are in another country. Any communications you make are all protected as your VPN uses military-grade encryption.
So, even if you have the capability and know-how to stop uTorrent from opening on startup Windows 10, it isn’t as vital as it was.
With a VPN solution, you’ll discover no leaks of your IP address thanks to a kill switch and more features that keep you completely anonymous and safe while online.