Kodi is one of the best media players, which has ever been designed. It enables users to stream no end of free media content that includes movies, TV shows, live TV, sports, or listen to music.
While many users are running older versions of the software, the latest Kodi update is one every user should be running.
The latest version of Kodi is v18.4 Leia. Already version 19 Matrix is being worked on and could be released before the end of the year.
This guide will go through each device and show how to upgrade Kodi from Kodi 17.6 to the latest and best version of Kodi so far.
In This Article
Before going into each of the Kodi update sections, it is worth noting that any Kodi user should be using a Kodi VPN for protection.
This can be from online threats, copyright trolls or even ISP’s who are taking part in extensive data retention and mass surveillance.
How Do I Update Kodi on a Fire TV Stick?
Unfortunately, there isn’t a way you can download Kodi from Amazon’s app store for a FireStick or Fire TV. This means you need to take a different route.
In our example, we will update your Amazon Fire TV Stick using the ‘Downloader App’
Before you update Kodi on FireStick, you do need to enable ‘apps from unknown sources’
Head to Settings. Select ‘System’ and ‘Developer Options.’
Toggle “Apps from unknown sources” option to on if not already
This only needs doing one time.
- Head to the FireStick Home Screen and click on the Search bar.
- Type in “Downloader” and then hit enter
- Click the Downloader app icon and install the app
- Start the Downloader app and type this URL http://kodi.tv/download. Hit on GO.
- When the download page loads, scroll downward and select the Android icon.
- A new window pops up. You will see various Kodi updates
- Select the latest Kodi version you wish to download
- Once it has downloaded, click on Install
- After installation click on ‘Done.’
- Navigate back to the home screen and launch Kodi
- You will be presented with the latest Kodi on FireStick.
How to Update Kodi on Android Devices
The one good thing with Android is that the process for updating Kodi will be the same on all of them, that is unless you have sideloaded the Kodi app on a specific device (Android Boxes/ Android TV).
Here are the simple, straightforward steps to follow to update any Android device that runs Kodi.
Android users use the Play Store for downloading and installing apps.
- Open the Google Play Store on your Android device;
- Click the hamburger button in the top-left corner
- Select ‘My Apps & Games’
- You will see if there are any updates available. If you have an older version of Kodi, Click on ‘Update’ toward the right side of your screen.
Updating Kodi on Windows
Many users have Kodi installed on home theatre PC’s. There are two ways how to update Kodi Windows-based installations.
Here we will show you how to perform a Kodi installation using Kodi itself, or you can go through the Windows store to perform a controlled Kodi upgrade.
- Launch your current Kodi installation (Windows device) and go to ‘Add-ons.’
- Select the Package Installer (Open Box icon) in the top left corner
- Select ‘Install from Repository’ and select the Kodi Add-ons Repository
- Head to ‘Program Add-ons’ and select the ‘Windows Installer’ from the list and hit ‘Install’
- Navigate to the Home Screen. Select Add-ons then Program Add-ons
- Click on ‘Kodi Installer’ and then ‘Releases’
- Select the Win32 option, and you will see Kodi Krypton versions. Version 18 is the first 64-bit
- version. Select Win64 if you want 64-bit version.
- Select and downloading and installation will start.
- Restart your Kodi app
Installing Kodi from the Website
- Navigate to Kodi.tv/download and scroll down to the Windows icon.
- You have the choices of the installers either 32 bit or 64 bit. You can even check out Pre-release builds or the latest development builds (this may contain bugs and crash)
- Select the Kodi build version you wish (64bit recommended)
- The app will download, once finished double click to install
- This will write over your installed Kodi version to perform an upgrade
All Kodi add-ons should still work; however, there are differences between 32 bit and 64-bit software. It is worth going through your add-ons to double-check if they still work, as they should.
Updating Kodi to the Latest Version on a Mac
Although there are differences between operating systems, the process of updating kodi on Mac desktops is similar to Windows.
- Open your browser and head to www.kodi.tv/downloads
- Scroll down and click the MacOS icon
- You will see a new pop up window, click on the 64 bit Installer to begin the download
- Once it has downloaded, Open the file
- Lastly, select and click Install
- Re-start your Kodi installation to check out all the new features
Updating Kodi on Apple TV’s
Kodi isn’t available on Apples TV App Store. Because of Kodi works, it is one of those apps where Apple doesn’t allow full access to all of the system resources.
This isn’t anything wrong with Kodi; it is purely an Apple thing, so Kodi doesn’t meet their guidelines. Luckily, you can sideload Kodi on Apple TV easily.
To update Kodi, you will need to use your Mac system for sideloading. Here are the easy to follow steps to update Kodi:
Both your MAC and your TV (Apple) are both connected to the same Wi-Fi.
- Turn on your Mac and start the ‘Terminal.’
- Type the following command precisely: ssh firstname.lastname@example.org (Replace the 192.168.1.1 with the TV’s IP address)
- If the command is entered correctly, it will ask you to enter the password of your device. (Enter alpine if you have not yet changed your password)
- Enter these commands in the exact pattern listed:
- apt-get install wget
- wget -0- http://apt.awkwardtv.org/awkwardtv.pub | apt-key add –
- echo ?deb http://apt.awkwardtv.org/ stable main? > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/awkwardtv.list
- echo ?eb http://mirrors.kodi.tv/apt/atv2 ./? > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/xbmc.list
- apt-get update
- apt-get install org.xbmc.kodi-atv2
- When you enter these in the correct order, your TV will restart. As soon as it restarts, you will see Kodi has been updated to the latest version.
Updating Kodi on a Raspberry Pi
Many individuals are using a Raspberry Pi to run Kodi as their home theatre computer. They are super low power, and can sit out of sight.
Here are the full instructions to update your Kodi on your Pi.
- Navigate to http://openelec.tv on your Raspberry-Pi’s browser
- Scroll downward and click Download
- Select the Raspberry Pi’s builds
- Select Raspberry which is compatible with your Pi’s generation and download the Zip File
- Extract the Zip on your Pi
- Now Copy the extracted files to a micro SD. You will need software called Rufus to make a bootable USB drive.
- Rufus asks you to enter some basic information
- Select your Micro SD card from the device option
- Select Disk image
- Browse and upload the file you extracted and copied to your SD Card
- Hit Start and the files will be overwritten
- Eject the SD card then insert it into your Raspberry
- Switch on your Raspberry device
- Kodi will now be the up to date version
Using VPN’s with Kodi
It does not matter which device you have Kodi installed on, all Kodi users should use a VPN.
This is for a couple of reasons, and the smallest being that you may face some geo-restrictions on your streams.
If this happens, either you will get errors, or they will just be dead.
However, it is the main reason a VPN is advisable. There are countless agencies, copyright trolls who work alongside ISP’s to combat free streaming of copyrighted content.
Using Kodi and streaming is not illegal, but there are many agencies who take a dim view of these third-party add-ons.
A premium Kodi VPN will mask your connection, and even a local ISP won’t be able to see any user is streaming using Kodi.
It is the safest way to use the latest and greatest versions of Kodi while keeping safe from anyone who wants to find your location.
Some countries even go as far as making it illegal to purchase Kodi boxes with the software already installed.
However if you are using your own system and updating to the latest and best version of Kodi, there is nothing to worry about, yet it is better to be safe instead of having to defend yourself.