Users love their Roku players; it is their gateway to stream music, movies, and TV shows right to their televisions.
Users can access their favourite channels, such as Netflix or HBO, and lots more as well. You can search for specific content based on title, actor, or director with a few clicks. Both the Roku mobile app, the new voice search, or the remote help you accomplish this.
However, it doesn't matter if you have a Roku 4 set-top box or a Roku TV; you can continually find new tips and tricks to learn to help you enhance your streaming experience.
Roku secret menu screens are hidden to most users until you know the commands to give you access.
You can use the Roku remote, yet you ought to be aware that you could mess things up using the secret screen resulting in a factory reset.
In our guide, to help avoid a factory reset, you can learn much more about how to access secret menus and which keys you need to press. (Learn How to Watch HBO Max in NZ)
By the end, you'll have a better understanding of what this Roku Developer Mode can do for you and your Roku player.
What is Roku secret screen used for?
Before you try to access these hidden menus, it's vital to understand the remote's key buttons.
The directional arrows correspond to the user's desired movement direction, such as the up, down, left or right buttons. The “Home” screen button is a more obvious button located to the top left of the remote and is clearly visible.
The “Reverse Scan” button has the rewind icon, and then you have the “Play/Pause” button, located underneath “OK.”
The “Forward Scan” button has the fast forward button icon, and all will be important buttons to use inside these menus. Using the Roku remote, you can go to a few secret menu screens.
Users beware: Remember, you do at your own risk if you're not careful on these hidden screens. You could mess up the settings and need to carry out a factory reset.
1. Code for secret menu screen: USB Test and Factory Reset
Press the Home button five times, other key buttons press the Fast Forward (FF) three times, press the Rewind (RW) button twice.
This menu lets you carry out a factory reset, run a USB test, and update the server or software. Use this one at your own risk. If you wish to sell your Roku, a factory reset will eliminate all your personal data.
2. Code for Secret menus screen: Reboot
Press Home button (top left) five times, Up direction, RW twice, Fast forward icon twice.
Using this Roku secret menu lets, you reboot your Roku device.
3. Secret menu screen: Activate Hidden Antenna menu for Wi-Fi signal strength etc
Press the Home button five times, Up, Down, Up, Down, Up.
Here the Roku secret screen code opens the secret Wi-Fi menu to see such things as signal strength.
4. Roku Secret menu screen code: Secret Antenna Menu
Press Home button five times, FF, Down, RW, Down, FF.
You can access the secret hidden antenna menu in this secret menu.
5. Roku Menu Secret code for Bit Rate menu: Activate Quality Settings
Press Home button five times, RW three times, FF twice.
This secret menu code brings up the bit rate menu, where you can see quality settings and set bitrates. (Learn How to Install Kodi on Roku)
6. Roku hidden menu screen code: opens the Channel Info Menu
Press Home button three times, Up twice, Left, Right, Left, Right, Left.
This secret menu code accesses the channel info menu.
7. Menu secret menu screen code: Roku hacks for secret developer mode
Press Home three times, Up twice, Right, Left, Right, Left, Right.
Here are the Roku secret codes for access to the developer mode and system operations menu
8. Roku Secret menu screen code: Enter the Log Theme Info and Cycle ad banner secret menu
Press Home five times, Up, Right, Down, Left, Up.
The secret hidden screen and secret menu code allow you to remove auto-pair, cycle screenshot, cycle ad-banner, log theme info.
How Do You Jailbreak a Roku TV?
To Jailbreak, Roku TV is used to install third-party software on your Roku TV. A Roku live TV hack on your streaming device, you cannot install Kodi. Screen Mirroring is needed to view the contents on your Roku TV as the device does not support jailbreaking.
Unlike the above Roku secret menu methods for how you hack Roku remote buttons, jailbreaking is slightly different, and you can't make a mess of secret menu settings as you can with the above. You are not altering any software, just making it possible to add more functionality, for example.
If you are using a Smart TV, check if it runs on Android OS software.
- On your television, look for the Google Play Store.
- The TV does not support Android OS if the app is not accessible.
- In the Google Play Store's search field, type Kodi.
- On the screen, a list of apps appears.
- Select Kodi from the drop-down list and click Install.
- To complete the process, read and follow the prompts on the screen.
- Install the Roku TV on your Smart TV and use it to watch Kodi.
- Insert a Roku Streaming device into the television if you're using one.
- Connect a wireless network to the television or streaming device.
- Screen Mirroring is an option of seeing stuff on a television screen.
- Determine the Android device and the system are both connected to the same device.
- On your Android device, install the Kodi app.
- Make sure your Roku device is up to date.
- Enable the Mirror Screening option on the streaming device's Settings screen.
- Select the Jailbreak Roku TV Screen Mirroring option from the Connections menu on your Android device.
- After the connection has been established, you can use the option to watch movies and TV shows on Netflix or other cable TV streaming services.
ROKU 3 Jailbreak
Do you wish to jailbreak a Roku device that is connected to a Windows computer? You can install Kodi on possible Windows versions of the operating system. The following are some quick steps for jailbreaking your Windows system. (Learn How to Jailbreak a Firestick)
- Check to see if the Windows operating system is version 8.1 or later.
- Connect the Windows operating system to a wireless or wired network.
- Insert the Roku streaming stick to your PC's suitable port.
- Connect the PC or laptop to the same wireless network as the Roku device.
- Go to your system's Windows Store.
- In your system's search bar, type in “Kodi.”
- The Kodi app will appear in the list of accessible apps.
- Install the app by following the on-screen instructions.
- Under the Start menu, look for the Settings option.
- Under the sub-menu, look for the Connected Devices option.
- At the top of the menu bar, select the Add a Device option.
- On the search bar, it finds the Roku device.
- Ensure that the Screen Mirroring option on your Roku device is turned on.
- Check to see whether your Windows system has the same option.
- View the contents on the TV using the Screen Mirroring option.
With the Screen Mirroring option, you can watch your favourite movies and TV shows.
Jailbreak ROKU 4
- One option is to use the Roku Media Player app. You may watch the content on your television with the help of the app. You may get the app from the Roku Store. Depending on the type of streaming device, the steps may vary. To learn how to use Roku TV after jailbreaking it, follow the steps outlined below.
- To play the content on the TV, use the Roku Media Player App.
- Check to see if the app is already installed on your television.
- If it's not available, go to the Roku Store and download it.
- The PC and Roku device must be connected to the specified home network.
- Under the Store, select the media type from the Media Type Selection screen.
- Find the device in the app that contains the content you want to play.
- It is possible that the app will not be displayed if it contains an incompatible file.
- On your Roku remote, press OK or Play/Pause.
- Use the Roku TV remote's Play/Pause or Backward or Fast Forward buttons.
- Fast forwards and rewind functions are not available for all file types.
- To end playback, press the Back button on your Remote.
- It has a USB connector for the stereo photo, audio, and video playback.
- If your streaming device supports USB playback, look for the USB input on the back of the Roku TV and plug it in.
- If you don't have the app, the PC will ask you to download it from the Roku Channel Store server.
- The Jailbreak Roku TV screen prompts you to open the Player using the USB drive once installed.
With all the above, many users forget how they can use a VPN to further expand their viewing experience at no extra cost besides purchasing a premium VPN subscription.
Using a VPN, you can connect your Roku to a US server, for example, and watch US content touching no menu secret codes.
The other glorious thing about a VPN service for NZ is you don't have to pay for the first month. Use the 30-day money-back guarantee and see how well your Roku performs. You'll stand a good chance of being able to link to another server, and your ISP won't throttle your connection.
You have a server IP address rather than the one they gave you and thus can't see what you are doing to slow your internet connection.