uTorrent is one of the best lightweight torrenting clients you can use. It takes up little space and uses very few system resources.
While hugely popular, there is always a way to improve, and as so many users are asking about slow download speeds, there are many settings you can use to speed up your torrent downloads.
In our guide here, you can learn all you need about the various settings that can get the best from your torrent client and increase download speed.
You can also see what to do to keep yourself safe as you torrent as you are exposed more than you think. (Find the best torrent sites for NZ)
Why is My uTorrent Downloading So Slow?
You have a couple of options here as to why your download speeds are slow. If you are downloading one torrent, increase the max connections per torrent to 250.
In your uTorrent menu, locate connections and change the global limit per torrent limit. Otherwise, your connection is being throttled by your ISP.
How Can I Get 10 Mbps Download Speed on uTorrent?
Check the torrent file has a good number of quality Seeds and Peers. It also needs to have a higher number of seeders than the Leechers.
Aside from that, you will need to follow all the settings tips we have here, although you need to change these at your own risk.
How Can I Increase My Downloading Speed?
Tweaking uTorrent Settings
When you have optimized uTorrent settings, you can gain a faster download rate: Follow these straightforward step by step instructions.
- Open your uTorrent client app.
- From the “Options” tab, select the “Preferences”.
- From the “Bandwidth” tab, select each of the options below:
- In the Global upload rate limiting: Set the Maximum Upload Rate: 100 kB/s
- In the Global download rate limiting: Set the Maximum Download Rate: 0 (0 equals unlimited)
- In the number of connections: Set the Global Maximum number of connections to 2330
- Increase the maximum number of connected peers per torrent to 250
- Change the number of upload slots per torrent to 14
- Press Apply and finally press OK.
Increase uTorrent speed with Advanced tab configuration
There are a couple more settings in the Advanced tab, which may increase uTorrent download speed.
- Click on Options – Preferences – Advanced.
- Click “bt.connect_speed” then set this value to “80.”
- Press “Set”, but don’t close the tab.
- In the Filter field, paste enter this text “net.max_halfopen”
- You will see some options below, click it and change the value from 500 to 100
- Press set and then press OK to save your settings
Improve uTorrent Download Speed with Queueing Options
From Options – Preferences, Select Queueing. Here, you only have to change the setting of the Maximum number of active downloads of torrents (upload or download) to 1.
Allocate More Bandwidth in the uTorrent Bandwidth Settings
When you are downloading multiple torrent files simultaneously, you can allocate more bandwidth to any torrents you wish to download first.
To allocate additional bandwidth, right-click on your torrent file and select from the list of ‘Bandwidth allocation’ Set to HIGH gives your torrents more priority than the others receive.
Add All the Torrent Trackers
Once you add a Torrent file or a Magnet link to your client, the software remains with the originating tracker site. (Find the 5 Best Extratorrent Alternatives)
Luckily, uTorrent comes with a feature to add a list of torrent tracker sites in one go. Doing this means you have many advantages, and one is you get larger numbers of seeders and peers along with your original tracker.
When you want to add more tracker sites, follow the below steps.
Double click on the torrent file then paste the trackers listed in the General tab beneath Trackers field:
Additional uTorrent Speedup Tips
Here are a few more tips and tricks to max out your connection speeds. Each of these with the above can stop uTorrent not downloading at its full potential.
Conduct a Speed test
If you check your connection speed, you can see if your ISP delivers what you pay for. You’ll never be downloading torrents effectively if you don’t have all your internet speed.
How many seeders?
Check the number of seeders: the more seeders, the faster the download. If you connect to enough seeders, you can max out your internet speed on your connection.
Connect the computer directly to the router with an Ethernet cable. A lot of electronic signals in the home can cause Wi-Fi to slow.
Are you pushing uTorrent?
- Check queue settings inside uTorrent. Every file you download east up your bandwidth. Try to download a file one by one. To change:
- Click Options and then click Preferences.
- Click Queuing to the left side, then set the maximum number of active downloads to 1.
- Click Apply and click OK
Enable UPnP port mapping.
This allows uTorrent to bypass the firewall (You can add Windows firewall exception also) and connect to seeders. Doing this makes sure you get the best transfer rate for your file.
- To enable UPnP port mapping:
- Click Options, then select Preferences
- Click the Connection option on the left menu
- Check the box and enable UPnP port mapping
- Click Apply, then click OK
Are you up to date?
Make sure you are up to date. Check for updates in uTorrent and your network drivers and OS.
Change the download speed?
- Double click the torrent downloads. In the menu, it will say “maximum download speed.”
- Change the number to 0 (zero), which is unlimited
- Click OK.
Change Your Torrent Upload Speed
Uploads of torrents bear a relation to how fast you can download. Increase your upload sped but not too much, or you will use all your bandwidth.
Enable Protocol Encryption
Some ISP’s can interfere with torrent transfers. Enable the BitTorrent protocol encryption inside the preferences tab.
Use a VPN
Internet Service Providers (ISP) limit the download and upload speeds of users who use uTorrent.
It is effortless for them to see if you are torrenting. They can track the communication port range or protocol type then inspect packet headers.
You are exposed, and you have lost your online privacy. You can find the best uTorrent port, yet changing this uTorrent setting does nothing for security. (Find the Best VPN NZ)
A VPN hides that you are torrenting, so you are safe, and your ISP won’t slow or block your internet connection. You might find it is the best way to increase the download speed as the issue wasn’t with uTorrent in the first place.