If you try to watch BBC iPlayer in New Zealand, you'll shortly get an error message stating that you can only view material if you live in the United Kingdom.
While you are free to explore the site, you will see the notification “BBC iPlayer only works in the UK. Sorry, it’s due to rights issues” when you click the play button from other countries.
While these restrictions are inconvenient, there is a simple way to circumvent them by watching your favorite shows from BBC 1, or as easily, you can watch BBC 2 online or stream other channels.
You can learn everything you need to know about how to watch BBC online in New Zealand, and by the end, you'll be able to watch BBC One live or watch UK TV online outside of the UK free using the best VPN services available.
In This Article
- What Is BBC iPlayer?
- Can You Get BBC iPlayer in New Zealand?
- How to Watch BBC iPlayer in NZ
- Best VPN For Watching BBC iPlayer In NZ
- Why You Need a VPN To Watch BBC iPlayer?
- TV Installation
- Wrapping Up
What Is BBC iPlayer?
The BBC iPlayer is the official online streaming, radio, and tv service from the British Broadcasting Corporation (BBC).
It is all-encompassing because it uploads all shows that appear on BBC network channels like BBC One and BBC Two. It works on various devices, including mobile devices such as tablets and phones, smart TV, and personal computers.
The platform's content is quite diversified, with news, sport, work-life, travel, future, culture, music, and weather.
Fleabag, Killing Eve, and Our Girl, which follows a new girl assigned to a team operating in Afghanistan, are among the most popular shows on BBC iPlayer.
The most important feature of BBC iPlayer is that it is completely free. However, there is a quick drawback: the service is only available to residents of the United Kingdom. In addition, a UKTV licensing cost of £157.50 per year is required to continue utilizing this online streaming service in the UK.
However, if you want to watch BBC iPlayer in New Zealand, you'll need to utilize a VPN.
Can You Get BBC iPlayer in New Zealand?
In New Zealand, can you watch BBC iPlayer? Unfortunately, you can't access it directly in New Zealand. Except for the United Kingdom and UK residents, BBC iPlayer NZ isn't a thing, and it is restricted in all other countries. (Read Channel 4 UK)
Many broadcasters and streaming sites, like BBC iPlayer, have a policy of restricting their material from being viewed around the world, even if it is a free service.
How to Watch BBC iPlayer in NZ
In actuality, there are two key reasons why the BBC iPlayer isn't available to New Zealanders. First, you'll see a section about a TV license as you sign up. The BBC isn't ad-funded, and the license fees are used to substitute advertising fees. (Read Watching Harry Potter Movies Online)
The second reason is broadcasting rights. Some BBC shows can air on select New Zealand television. Many other shows are slow to arrive or never reach NZ TV.
The first step is to find the best VPN for BBC iPlayer streaming from our recommendations. Here are the steps you need to take, yet it helps to sign up and connect to your chosen VPN server before completing your sign-up procedure.
Make sure you always have a UK server set on your VPN before trying to access any iPlayer content.
Here are the steps to create your BBC account.
- Navigate to the BBC iPlayer website
- Click the sign-in option at the top of the screen
- Select age 16 or over and enter your date of birth in the next box
- Enter your email address and create a password. Change the country to ‘United Kingdom.’
- Click Register
- Select ‘No, thanks’ to receive emails
- Check your email and verify your account
- When the site asks for a UK postcode, enter one from a friend or family. If you don’t know anyone, grab one from the internet. Select any postcode since there are no checks besides the validity of the postcode.
- When asked to confirm you have a TV license, select ‘Yes.’ If you click No, it won't let you proceed.
If you wish to access the BBC iPlayer, make sure your VPN client or VPN browser extension is running, and you select a UK server.
Best VPN For Watching BBC iPlayer In NZ
1. Express VPN: Best VPN to Access BBC iPlayer NZ
- Fast streaming connection speeds to stop buffering
- Military-grade security for users privacy protection
- Unblocks most streaming platforms besides BBC in NZ
- Servers run in Trusted Server mode
- No included Ad-Blocker
- Limited options to change for advanced users
ExpressVPN operates over 3,000 servers in 94 countries. ExpressVPN, widely regarded as the fastest VPN on the market, offers a feature-rich solution for streaming BBC iPlayer NZ or any other country.
ExpressVPN has numerous servers in the United Kingdom optimized for fast connections to your favourite BBC shows.
ExpressVPN has a user-friendly interface that caters to VPN experts and novices, making it a popular choice among consumers.
ExpressVPN is a high-performance VPN that combines streaming features with military-grade encryption. Security features include 256-bit AES encryption, a kill button, a zero-logging policy, and headquarters in the British Virgin Islands outside of any jurisdiction.
If you have a problem, you can contact live customer service 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
On Windows, Linux, macOS, Android TV, Apple laptops, and iOS, ExpressVPN provides safe apps, and you can use the MediaStreamer DNS on Xbox and other devices that don't have an app. (Read our Full ExpressVPN Review)
You also have five device connections and the option to install browser extensions to make your experience more convenient.
If you're not sure if ExpressVPN is appropriate for you, you can try it out risk-free with the 30-day money-back guarantee, which comes with no questions asked.
ExpressVPN Can Also Unblock:
- iTV, and Channel 4
- Netflix (most libraries besides outside of US Netflix)
- Hulu, Sling TV & FuboTV
- HBO Max, Amazon Prime Video, and Disney +
- DAZN & beIN Sports
- Crackle & Hotstar
- Showtime, Peacock, and many more
2. NordVPN: Most Secure VPN for NZ
- Very secure VPN
- Can have a dedicated IP address (extra cost)
- Large VPN server network
- 30-day money-back guarantee
- The app runs better on an iOS device and Android better than on desktop
- Refunds can take a while to process
With over 5,000 servers worldwide, Nord VPN software and the network cover a broad geographical area spanning six continents, giving services to everyone who requires online security.
The SmartPlay VPN and DNS technology combination hide a users IP address, making streaming safer and worry-free, to UK servers for access to the BBC iPlayer apps and many other streaming services.
With fast internet connection speeds and unlimited bandwidth, it prevents buffering. In New Zealand, this is ideal for viewing BBC iPlayer content or wanting to download a show to watch offline.
A stringent no-log policy, a kill switch, and Double VPN to encrypt communication twice are included in the VPN's security features.
It's easy to see why NordVPN is one of the best VPN services available. You can unblock the BBC iPlayer streaming service and test free using the 30-day money-back guarantee.
On Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, Android TV, Linux, Chrome, and Firefox, the VPN allows for six simultaneous connections. It also works with routers, allowing you to use the BBC iPlayer app and using one connection for whatever you want to watch.
NordVPN Can Also Unblock:
- iTV, and Channel 4
- Hulu, FuboTV & Sling TV
- Netflix (multiple Libraries besides US Netflix)
- Amazon Prime Video, Disney+, HBO Max, and Showtime
- DAZN & beIN Sports
- Crackle & Hotstar, Peacock, and others.
3. SurfShark: Best Feature-Reliable VPN
- Great levels of privacy and security
- Increased number of VPN servers.
- Great streaming speeds to stream on-demand or live TV shows from the BBC
- Great content unblocking in NZ
- The fastest server select isn't always the best choice
- Only three server locations in the UK
In the United Kingdom, Surfshark operates streaming-optimized servers in three distinct cities. Even in New Zealand, the VPN ensures consistent, non-buffering connections to the BBC iPlayer.
Surfshark offers the CleanWeb ad-blocker that removes advertising and trackers that might detract from your BBC NZ viewing experience.
With military-grade 256-bit encryption, a rigorous no-log policy, and an automatic kill switch, the VPN service protects identity and data.
You can also discover the No Borders and Camouflage mode to obscure further your IP address and identity from censorship or regional blocking around the world.
Surfshark is a superb alternative with fantastic features; you can test everything it offers with its 30-day money-back guarantee and unlimited device connections.
Surfshark Can Also Unblock:
- BBC iPlayer, iTV, and Channel 4
- DAZN & beIN Sports
- Crackle & Hotstar
- Hulu, FuboTV & Sling TV
- Amazon Prime Video
- Disney +, Showtime, and Peacock plus more
Why You Need a VPN To Watch BBC iPlayer?
To use the BBC iPlayer app, you must be physically present in the United Kingdom or have a virtual presence. The only way to achieve this is to use a premium VPN service capable of evading the BBC iPlayer streaming service's limits and inspections.
If you try to connect to the streaming service from outside the UK, you'll get a unique IP address than individuals connecting from their residences in the UK.
When the BBC iPlayer service detects that your IP address is not a UK IP address, and you'll be denied access to the content you want to watch.
Besides, to watch the BBC iPlayer free, you should have a UK TV license. You will also see, you can't find the app in the Google Play Store in NZ, and you would have to spoof your location.
Are there any Licensing limitations and Registration
You need to create an account with the BBC iPlayer website. The licensing side should be paid, although when using a VPN, the BBC won't be able to check if you have a license or not.
Can BBC Tell if I Watch iPlayer?
The website or the iPlayer app can tell your IP address, and it is this that stops you from being able to connect from other countries when you don't have a UK IP address.
What happens if you use BBC iPlayer without a TV Licence?
To watch or download any programs on the BBC iPlayer, or watch and record live TV, you should have a valid TV license. In the UK, it is a criminal offense to do so without a TV licence. UK residents can be prosecuted and fined up to £1000.
Streaming from another country using a VPN and the BBC websites security wouldn't know where you are located. In addition, the BBC locates users without a licence using a vehicle and checks signals based on UK postcode.
Can I stream BBC iPlayer to my TV?
BBC iPlayer is available on connected TVs, games consoles, set-top boxes, computers, mac, streamers, and UK streaming platforms. Outside the UK, and using your VPN, you can stream to a TV if you are connected through a VPN on your TV or your router has the VPN installed.
Why Can't I Access BBC iPlayer on my TV?
If BBC iPlayer is failing or struggling to load on your connected TV, your VPN may be down, or the VPN you have doesn't come from our recommendations. The BBC is second to Netflix, so you need a reliable VPN to access video on the website.
What is My BBC iPlayer password?
You will create a password when you complete the account creation. If you forget, you can ask for a reminder in your email to access the content of the website. The BBC will send an email with a link to reset your password.
How do I install BBC iPlayer?
- Open the Play Store app.
- Search for BBC iPlayer (VPN needed and server in the UK selected)
- Select the Install button on the screen, and the app should download straight away.
- Once downloaded, you'll be given the option to take you straight to the BBC iPlayer app.
- Open the BBC iPlayer application on your TV. (VPN needed and a UK server selected).
- Press the Sign In button.
- You can see the screen asking to pick a second device to sign in. Towards the bottom, it should say, “Don't have a mobile, tablet, or computer?”
- Follow the on-screen instructions to get access to BBC iPlayer.
The Player is probably the best streaming service globally that is free. Using a VPN, you can use the iPlayer as you would your regular TV.
As long as you are connected, you can log in and watch breakfast live from the comfort of your home or on the road using your mobile devices.
All VPNs here offer fantastic BBC access and can be sued on a PC, Mac, or mobile device anywhere in the world to stream from the BBC website or app.