The world awaits the last installment of Game of Thrones in 2019; there are only six final episodes to see.
If you are like many others and wondering how can I watch Game of Thrones online at the same time as the US? Or you are eager to watch GOT season 8; then there is only one viable way to achieve this in NZ.
First, we’ll take a quick look at what Game of Thrones is.
Game of Thrones Breakdown
Game of Thrones is a fantasy TV show that airs exclusively on HBO. It is based on a series of books called ‘A Song of Ice and Fire.’
It takes place in the Known World and the continent of Westeros and Essos. The seven kingdoms of Westeros are at war for the Iron Throne which is in Kings Landing.
Here there are three families at war to take control. The Lannisters, Starks and the Baratheons.
At the end of season 7, it was Cersei Lannister, the queen mother who was in control.
Where You Can Watch Game of Thrones in NZ
There are a few places where to watch Game of Thrones, but these are always shown once the shown after the last episode is aired.
The show is available on both Google Play and iTunes, but it will be a delay of around two months before you can view the first episode of series 8.
By this time you will have seen and heard all the spoilers so that the suspense will have been somewhat weakened. For Game of Thrones New Zealand viewers, these don’t really give much of an option.
What is the Best Way to Watch Game of Thrones in NZ?
The very best way to watch GOT at the same time as the US is to watch HBO Now. This streaming service will air the show exclusively.
To enable you to do this though, there are a couple of things NZ viewers need to do to get around these geo-restrictions. It might sound complicated, but to watch HBO Go New Zealand is straightforward.
The first thing you need to do is to create a US iTunes Account. Although you might have an iTunes account already, these are also limited to what is in offer in different countries.
VPN’s are the Secret to Watching Game of Thrones in NZ
Because of all the geo-restrictions that are in place, you need to sign up for a VPN service. This will mask your IP address, so any connection you make will think you are in another country.
You might wonder what the best VPN for NZ is. This can be confusing because there are so many on the market.
Here is a quick rundown of two popular ones. One is the very best VPN for Game of Thrones, and the other is a decent service with a few downsides.
The top VPN for Game of Thrones makes it a priority to protect user privacy. They also have the best customer support and deliver the fastest connection speeds. This means you will be able to watch shows from the US with no buffering.
Their price isn’t much different from the first VPN, but they justify this cost more than enough. They also offer a 30-day money back guarantee compared to a 7-day refund from the previous example VPN.
ExpressVPN is the world’s number one and it is here for a good reason, It offers a full range of first-class features, and it will make Game of Thrones streaming super easy once you have completed the following steps.
- Sign up for the world’s number one VPN – Sign up with a simple 3 step process. Receive an email with a download link for the app and password.
- Install the client software, and you are instantly connected and protected.
- Form a drop-down list, connect to a US-based server.
- Finally, log into your US-based iTunes account (follow steps below if you don’t have one)
Another option is the IPVanish VPN. It is one of the most popular VPN services there is. It performs as well as many of the leaders in the marketplace if users are in the right regions, but for NZ VPN users, they might find the connection speeds suffer when connecting to the US.
Also, one of the main features users choose a VPN is to access the US Netflix, with this VPN it is a hit or miss affair.
Creating a US iTunes Account
- Sign up for US iTunes account. To do this, you need to sign out of your local iTunes account (if you have one) and then in the create new, change the region to the US.
- Be sure to use a new email address for the US-based account and when asked for the payment method. Supply one which is US based (e.g., American Express or US PayPal), or choose the option for none.
- Provide a bogus US postal address (these can easily be acquired from several websites).
- When asked to verify your account, click on the supplied link in the verification email.
- Now log in with your US-based iTunes account, and then download the HBO app from the US store.
- Once you have installed the app, fire up your VPN service and sign up for HBO Now.
- You’re now ready to watch HBO in NZ.
All you need to do now is to log in to your HBO account, and you are ready for Game of Thrones NZ 2019 or catch up on the last series to get you back in the mood ready for the ultimate finale with no spoilers.