How I Met Your Mother was created by Craig Thomas and Carter Bays and stars Josh Radnor, Jason Segel and Neil Patrick Harris, among others.
The show follows Ted Mosby, a hopeless romantic and architect, and his bunch of friends who live in New York.
In flashbacks with Ted being the narrator, the show concentrates on Ted telling his children how he came to first meet their mother.
The story he tells is a long one and fully engrossing because it lasted over the course of the nine series.
It may sound drawn out, and with 208 episodes, you could think that way, but the show was a classic from start to finish.
On many occasions, Neil Patrick Harris was stealing the show as good friend Barney Stinson.
The show was originally created for CBS, so you can see the pedigree was first class. Much of the story begins when Marshall and Lily are almost engaged, and it gets Ted thinking.
While all the way through there are those glorious, will they or won’t they moments when Robin and Barney look as if they are going to get it on.
Robin played by Cobie Smulders plays the part to perfection.
Where to Watch How I Met Your Mother
With a quick intro to the show, it is time to see where you can watch the show online. It should be noted that the use of a VPN (Virtual private network) would be required.
The main place you may be able to watch How I Met Your Mother online is the US Netflix (Netflix does add and pull programs if they are streamed in other places).
This service is well known for blocking VPN’s but our recommendation has a long history of bypassing these and enabling access to the show.
Here is how to get American Netflix (VPN service required before attempting this)
- Start your VPN’s client app
- Open the drop down and select the United States
- Navigate to the Netflix website. With your VPN running, the site will load the US version automatically.
- Click on “Join Free for a Month.”
- Select the plan of choice. The Premium plan allows more devices and higher quality.
- Click “Continue.”
- Create your account. Enter your email address and create a password.
- Click on Continue
- Enter your payment information. PayPal, credit card or Netflix gift card.
- Click your preferred plan.
- Click “Start Membership.”
- Enter your mobile number for your password recovery
- Select all the devices you will use. You can add users at this point as well. Click continue.
- Your account is active when you select three TV shows you like. This affects what shows will be displayed as from your preferences.
How I Met Your Mother was created for CBS, but the station no longer has this show on its schedule.
However, you can still watch CBS live with the best option to watch a How I Met Your Mother stream for every episode that was made.
Hulu has plenty of features and is in some cases a very viable alternative to Netflix. Hulu with Live TV has lots of content on-demand, and you can make use of 50 hours of Cloud DVR.
Hulu comes with three plans:
- Hulu with ads: $5.99 per month – 1 month free trial
- Hulu without ads: $11.99 per month – 1 month free trial
- Hulu with live TV: $44.99 per month – 1-week free trial.
Hulu also has its own Original content that is only bettered by Netflix. You have over 60 channels including CBS.
It also has all the episodes of this great show; in fact, it is the only place that has all the episodes.
Hulu runs on a broad range of devices, so you can watch it at home on TV’s or on the go. However, you still require a VPN. (Here’s how to watch Hulu in NZ)
Which is the best VPN for streaming?
There are lots of VPN’s but they don’t all have full support for New Zealand. Adding to this, a lot of them are unable to bypass the Netflix checks. Luckily, the best VPN NZ users can use is ExpressVPN.
This delivers fast download speeds so there will be no buffering of any full episode of How I Met Your Mother.
There are also many other features like military-grade encryption and security. This keeps your online activities nice and secure. Even your ISP won’t see what you are watching.
This VPN also has a no quibble 30-day money back guarantee. This allows any user in New Zealand to test the service for 30 days before the need to cancel if they don’t like it.